Thursday, December 22, 2005

Polish 101

Well, it's been four months now and I still can't speak a lick of Polish. But I don't feel stupid, and here's why. Here are several simple sentences in English translated into Polish. Look what happens. It's crazy. This language is crazy and impossible. What were these Slavs thinking?

This is a cat. To jest KOT.
There is no cat. Nie ma KOTA.
I'm going with the cat. Idę z KOTEM.
I'm talking about the cat. Mowię o KOCIE.

Why can't it just stay 'cat'? Why does it have to change depending on what we're talking about? Every single noun and adjective in the language has six different cases it can be used in, and the rules are crazy and make no sense. Why?

Here is a simple breakdown, have a look if you have time. http://lightning.prohosting.com/~popolsku/

Here are some words that Polish people throw in your face to remind you that you're stupid. Try pronouncing them yourself.

beetle: CHRZĄSZCZ
worm: DŻDŻOWNICA
sorry: PRZEPRASZAM


You know what I say? Fuck it. If 'sorry' is so hard to say then I'd rather be rude.

Good luck students!

4 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

I think dobra cura tatusz is the best i'm gonna do.
Sigh.
Curva!!

9:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well,that is what we used to think about english.crazy,so unprecise,so misleadind,not funny,not artfull,so unpoetic.well,we learned to know it well.it is ok.i still think polish is more articulate,closer to latin,more flowery.funny.but they are both good id you know how to wield them.good luck.powodzenia.buena suerte.papi

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

we just try to confuse our enemies

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've got my phrases now: cabbage, cunt, shaved pussy..

i'm at my pinacle.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home