Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Beautiful Berlin

Agnieszka and I visited Berlin this weekend. It's a wild city and surprisingly, fairly cheap for Western Europe. In fact, it was noticeably cheaper to go out in Berlin than in Toronto. What was nice was that both Agnieszka and I became homesick for Wroclaw. We missed the convenience and charm of our smaller place, which although lacked the advantages of a large cosmopolitan city, is more accessible. All big cities have something in common that is a bit intimidating and unattractive, something cold and informal. We felt this the first day in Berlin, before we went into town the next day with friends who live there and discovered more local neighbourhoods. I think from now on, I won't visit a large city unless I do so with someone who knows it well or I have an excellent guide to reveal the charming parts to me. I can only imagine what it must be like to visit Toronto, seeing only the parts that I myself always tried to avoid and coming away from this thinking I got to know the city.

Here are the pictures from our first touristy day in Berlin. And yes Liz, I ate Kurrywurst.

3 Comments:

Blogger nicki said...

it looks really beautiful! i'm glad you had a good time :) now you know why i hated Toronto so much..haha.

1:38 PM  
Blogger ljushuset said...

The Agnes Picture is superb. I'm thinking the leaves will be gone when I get there in January! haha!

11:39 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

Aw, I wish I ate currywurst too :(
Did you find out what Danilo's favourite kind of Beer was?
Grizzly or Panda??

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home