Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Hubert

We met him on my birthday. Really drunk, I grabbed a random guy and brought him over to my friends and said, "Hey guys, this is my cousin, Jacek." Everyone started to greet him when he put up his hand and stopped them. "No. I Hubert." These simple words would mean so much to us. I also believe they are the only words he knows in the English language. "No. I Hubert."

For the rest of the night Hubert hung out with us. He didn't speak at all, I don't think he understood anything either, but he just sat there and nodded his head and smiled when we looked at him. It felt very natural and right.

The next day we were unsure whether we had imagined Hubert or whether he was real. We scanned the photos of my birthday and sure enough found the unmistakable buzz/bowl cut of our friend. We thought that Hubert had touched our life once and we'd never see him again. Until...

The Halloween party. Like some sort of gift from the pagan gods, the unmistakable haircut of Hubert shot past us and we called him over. He sat with us for the rest of the night, 3 hours. Again, not speaking a word of English and just smiling and nodding. I'm not sure what he was doing in that bar or whether he had any plans that night, but he was either really cool or really lonely.

We learned two things about him that night.
a) he's a builder
b) he's a chess champion

The rest remained shrouded in mystery.

And really, "I am a builder" doesn't mean much either, does it?

We got his phone number that night and I vowed to invite him to all good parties. Hubert would be our 'living furniture.' Every time there'd be a lull in the party, I'd look over and smile at Hubert and he'd smile back and we'd enjoy a moment that went beyond words and language. Plus, he really seemed to enjoy it too. It was a win-win situation for everybody.

Or was it?

So when we did the century club, I invited Hubert. He came, with a bag full of WARKA STRONG 7% beer and I thought maybe he didn't understand the game. But sure enough, he went well past 100 and it didn't phase him. Hubert plays by his own rules. But alas, this was the night we learned the third thing about Hubert. Yes, he was a builder. Yes, he was a chess champion. But it turns out he was also a champion of perversion. Stealthily, beyond the perception of any man present, Hubert would throw winks and kisses at all the girls and we were told that our living furniture, was in fact just that, a perverted love seat waiting for a girl to sit on his face. Hubert was officially banned from our lives by every girl we know.

This one goes out to you Hubert. Wherever you are.



HUBERT: Oct-Dec 2006. SIT AND NOD IN PEACE.


Hubert found using the latest computer technology. It wasn't just a dream.

-"No. I Hubert"



- "No. I Hubert."

















-"I love you Hubert! Smile for the camera."
-"No. I Hubert."

- "Get away from me Hubert!"
- "No. I Hubert."

13 Comments:

Blogger nicki said...

hahaha Hubert is HOT...:P

1:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Paycheck,
I hear it's real cold & lotsa snow over your ways; and when I heard of that roof collapse at the pidgeon show my heart skipped a beat. " . . . b-b-b-but Tom loves pidgeons & pidgeon expos with even more verve", I thought. I am glad to hear you are still with us. Although, I'm suprised you apperantly missed the pidgeon expo!!! I hope you shed a tear for your brothers in arms.

Are you kidding me? I'm reading this thing about Hubert an' I'm seeing this benevolent eastern euro doughboy or something. Like a movie sidekick, or Andy from Conan O'Brian. Then I see the pic. Looney Toons!! C'mon, tell me you didn't see that shit. Guy looks like he just got outta the pen. It's in those unhinged eyes an' half cocked smile. Look at him, he looks like he's just about to do something you don't want him to do . . . set your phone on fire? Throw a beer at a biker? (sorry, no offence Jake) . . . or as case would have it cop a few feelies while waiting for the perfect moment to drop them rohypnol. I'm looking at him right now laughing . . . thinking your lucky you didn't star in 'Hostel II'.

"I'm not sure what he was doing in that bar or whether he had any plans that night, but he was either really cool or really lonely." He was stalking you and was really psychotic!

That story 'bout the Mulan curry delivary was funny . . . don't the Poles have curry perogi??

7:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hyhyyhyhy...yaeh...Hubert...
please - no more about him ;)

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hubert looks like a total pervert. It's the little moustache that gives it away. How could you not have known?

I'm printing up this latest post of yours and handing it in to my creative writing teacher as my first assignment. Keep them coming, I have three months left of the class.

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

- Chuck Norris lost his virginity before his dad did -

(ok, never mind :P)

9:36 PM  
Blogger mohan said...

yo, how could you not think that guy was a perv? look at his molest-ache. shit, lucky you guys don't have any kids around. is poland turning you naive, and trusting of everything peter tomek pan?

11:36 PM  
Blogger Deep said...

He seems cool, kinda has a Polish Rico Suave thing going. Everyone deserves a second chance. Give Hubert a second chance...perhaps meeting in church?? That worked in highlander.

3:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fuck off. hubert is ready for love!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Tomek said...

by the way. poland currently has a huge obsession with chuck norris. HUGE. everyone is walking around on the streets making chuck norris jokes. i kid you not. i love it.

- Chuck norris ordered a big mac at burger king...and got it.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Deep said...

Chuck Norris is global....those jokes have crisscrossed the world, and are as popular in Canada as they are in Poland.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"y'know when Bruce Lee is fighting Chuck Norris in Enter The Dragon?"
"No..."
"Have you not seen.. That is a classic"
"No, I've not seen him fight Chuck Norris in Enter The Dragon, I've seen him fight him in Way of the Dragon."
"Ahh that's what I meant"
"Is it? Then why did you say Enter the Dragon? He fights Bob Wall in both, but he only fights Chuck Norris in Way of the Dragon"

2:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to show You sth:
http://www.youtube.com/w/Young-Chuck-Norris---SNL?v=NBSpNPzVsMM
about Young Chuck Norris :)

-Before he forgot a gift for Chuck Norris, Santa Claus was real.

7:02 PM  
Blogger Tomek said...

this breaks my heart. i hate this country now.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home