Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Ready, Aim, Fired

Friday the 13th. Ominous.

I knew bad shit was going down. 2 months ago, our entire group of teachers in Wrocław had decided to refuse to go to Gliwice, a shithole city that our friend who had trained with us was forced to work in. He told the boss of the company after training that he wanted to return to Wroclaw or he'd quit. He wans't going to spend a year of his life in Poland's own answer to Brampton. He was reassured and promised a spot here in Wroclaw within a month. A month passed, with no spot for him. Two months of promises passed, and still no work in Wroclaw. One day, the former head teacher of his school told him the truth, that he was never going to be transferred and they were just lying to him in hopes he'd grow roots in Gliwice. Finally realizing that he was being lied to and screwed over, he quit his job one payday and moved here to find work. The boss, an angry, overly macho pig of a man was furious. His whole life, he was used to screwing people over and being screwed over himself didn't sit well with him. With a shortage of teachers now in shithole Gliwice all the teachers here in Wroclaw were asked to work there for a week one at a time to cover for our friend. As a group, we all refused on principle. The boss found this out while on one of his many skiing trips to Austria and was livid.

Then this week, signs became obvious that shit was going down. A new teacher suddenly showed up. Another to come in a month. Then I was told that I had a meeting with the owner of the school on Friday. Mysteriously, next week's schedule, always up on Wednesdays, was not to be seen. Was I fired? I thought so, but everyone told me I was paranoid. I know the crazy redneck owner of the company hated me and two months ago I remember he had vowed to fire people for ruining his skiing trip in Austra with the news that nobody was going to work in Gliwice.

I called the owner, asking if I was fired, and he refused to tell me. From this, I knew I was canned. This fucker had insulted me personally each time I'd met him, telling me 5 minutes after asking what my blue collar parents and family do, that anyone that works with their hands is a moron. When he fired the last teacher, he tore a strip out of her for half an hour, degraded her, and the suddenly told her she was finished and to pack her things. I promised myself that although he would fire me, he wouldn't get a chance to degrade me first.

We met, and right away I was told I was fired and for nonsense reasons. I knew I had nothing to lose, so I tore a strip out of him. I refused to speak in Polish, because I knew the owner spoke broken English and was ashamed of it. Every time he spoke English, I pretended I didn't understand him and asked his wife to explain. Midway through his sentences I yawned and asked him what his point was, because I wasn't intereseted. Then, at the end, I pulled out my camera and took a picture of me getting fired. "I'm getting paid in two days right? Ok, everyone smile, me getting fired, 2006" He was furious. He was even angrier when told him the first picture didn't turn out and I wanted one with just the two of us. He told me if he ever sees this picture I'm getting sued.

Yes. I took a picture of myself getting fired, and I took it to show all of you, and to ensure my boss lost sleep.

Good night to all, save him.


Photo #1. This was taken 5 minutes after them accusing me of not taking my job seriously and me heatedly denying it. What bullshit.

The head teacher is seen here with hands crossed praying to God to help him grow a spine.














The bosses wife. She's upset here because she knows she's going to get beaten tonight for this. Halfway through sex my goofy face will pop into the owner's head and she'll end up with a shiner and a sore bum.

He took my job. But my camera took his soul. If you're looking for a job teaching English in Poland ask to see the top of your bosses head. If it looks like this, it's him - find another school quick!


Me one hour and 3 beers after I got fired. At this point I called back to the school to ask Zbig if I could get a reference. Notice Mike doing his Zbig impression on the right.

******Well, it's now been 4 days since I was fired. I'm writing all of this from my uncle's place, full of sausage and Warka Strong beer. What do I think of it all? I'm upset, but my overwhelming feeling is that for once in my life, I didn't get bullied even if I was done wrong. The owner of this school talks to people like dirt, and probably has his whole life. When I picked up my paycheque today the head secretary said the boss was fuming, yelling "It's my face. How can he take my picture", the whole time. So for all the times that some big kid stole my cheetos in grade school, for all the times some huge gino cut Suzuka off, and for all the shitty bosses in this world, I have this memory to hold on to.

And what now? Well, I didn't come here to work like a dog and I remember that now. This job was boring, and I remember that too. I'm going to buy an interrail pass this week and take a train to Istanbul and stop everywhere along the way. And when I get back, I'll do whatever I want. I was scared to quit my job and leave my life to come here. But that was just the first step. Now I'm packing a bag and stepping on a train with no plan, a pocket full of money, and I'm going to Turkey to find out what kebabs really taste like. (they come from Turkey, right?)

19 Comments:

Blogger Heff said...

"Phhhffttxzzz !" Dang ! 'at fart stanks !

9:15 PM  
Blogger Deep said...

Comment #1: You got fat
Comment #2: Who needs a job
Comment #3: I love Turkey....go to the blue mosque...piss on an AnZac grave, (kidding....or am I??)
Comment #4: Keep sticking it to the man!

10:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perfect

2:39 PM  
Blogger ljushuset said...

Story of the year! In my mind there is Roman muttering "he take picture curva?" haha, good show!
Craig! Email me, eh!

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and what about Laurence? I've heared that they fired him too? what's going on? I've always known this school is just like a nice box with a shit. First you thing 'Oh my God, what a nice box!' and when you open it, you'll see big shit in it smels like dinosaurs vomit. You know, there's une grippe aviaire in Turkey..be careful;)

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

marco, i can't find your email address!

craignunn at gmail

GSOH, looking for fun and maybe more.

11:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you've got jaja (aka balls in polish)! :) you will be missed!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Tomek said...

don't miss me yet kimmers. remember, i live in the building behind yours and we're going to prague together tomorrow morning.

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right On Johnny Paycheck! That's classic, good show!! While the pix are funny and of course classic Tom, the text is even better. Forcing the match w/ the your offensive of speaking only english an' all, brilliant my friend! You got the knives! It's hilarious thou in pic 1 how they're all glaring right into the camera with mucho disgust. Yet in pic 2 your actual boss doesn't even have the ja ja to stare ya down . . . pussy!

Yes! I give your new thrust 3 cheers!!! Who needs a plan? The only plan you need is to grow a badass beard, a bigger afro, drink lotsa wine and just kick it in Turkey an' beyond . . . oh yeah an' eat lotsa chicken too!!

Deep's right you did get fat. Aside from lookin kick ass, a nice wildman beard'll hide those chins for ya. Alright, Paycheck have fun & be good . . . at it . . .

Dr. Wight

ps. check my new blog out when ya got a minute

11:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah an' get back to me bout that email I sent ya

2:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, seems a lil fishy, must be more to this book than it's cover! I'll be back with the facts.....til than.

1:54 AM  
Blogger Tomek said...

rumours of me getting fat are greatly exaggerated.

2:06 PM  
Blogger Deep said...

Tom will be vomiting his meals for the next few days to get buff again. Don't be so neurotic guy....grow a gut.

Never trust a man who has no gut.

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's one more reason for you to stay away from home. Our new Prime Minister is HARPER. Yes - the leader of our country is a guy that you wouldn't ride in an elevator alone with because he looks like a fucking serial killer.

4:35 AM  
Blogger Tomek said...

oh well. i'm coming home in 4 years.

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harper won't last that long-I hope.
Anyways Tomek I sent you an email but just to say here bravo, I actually wished I was back at SPEED just to see it!
Ben
PS Hi to everyome in the Claw!

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stick it to the polish man.

ani

run free.

5:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow you got really fat....I'm thinking more like 50 lbs. Yeah 210 looks about right. I'm going to have to whip you into shape. Only grapes for a few months.

11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stick it to the man
i am sending a letter to martyna, she owes 2,000zl. lets see how they handle that one...

12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home