Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Epic Train Trip IV - The Epic Contrast

With no place to sleep, and the rain coming down hard in Warsaw after I had angered the Chinese Gods, we hopped on a train to Toruń. With no expectations, we were astonished to discover how beautiful this walled medieval town actually was. Despite the terrible weather, our short stay in Toruń left us charmed, and inevitably ready for the contrast of our next destination: KATOWICE.

Ask any Pole, which is the ugliest place in this country, and inevitably, the answer will be KATOWICE. But come on, with 8 months of being warned this place would be hideous, could it really be that bad? Could it really live down to it's expecations?? And more importantly, in a place of such despair, would I find my surly, overweight, ice cream eating nun?

Toruń. You charmed the pants off me. Oh, so this is what a Polish town looks like when it wasn't bombed to rubble by the Nazis and Russians.
The leaning tower of Toruń.










The balloonless hot-air balloon(pictured), along with the wingless plane and the boardless skateboard are three of the least effective modes of transport known to man.
Fireworks over an ancient castle. Boom, Boom Boom, I love Toruń! I can never come back, because I will only be dissapointed when next time the city doesn't explode and light up in beautiful colours for me.


From fireworks to steelworks. Katowice, I arrived looking 28, and an hour later left looking 34 and feeling 62. And to make things worse, still no nun.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooooohhhhhh.....
(głaszcze)

10:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the helicopter coming out of your hair in the last pic! Purdy!

1:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home